holiday cottage northumberland
self catering northumberland, holiday cottage borders, short breaks uk, accommodation belford, vacation scottish, north-east, holiday cottage northumberland, acommodation, holiday cottage northumberland
JEDBURGH CALLANTS FESTIVAL was inaugurated in 1947 and lasts two weeks with ceremonial rides to places of historic interest. The most important one is to Redeswire, close by Carter Bar, the site of a battle in 1575 when the timely arrival of the Jedburgh contingent with their cry "Jethart’s here" turned an apparent defeat of the men from Liddesdale into a rout of the English. An oration is delivered there by a guest speaker. The Callant, the young man leading the festival proceedings, takes custody of the Jethart Flag and on Festival Day leads the mounted cavalcade to Ferniehurst Castle, halts for a ceremony at the Capon Tree, survivor of the ancient Jed Forest, and returns to the town for the final ceremony at the War Memorial. Saturday commences with the firing of a cannon and a race around the town, followed by the Jedburgh Border Games, which date from 1853.
KELSO CIVIC WEEK was inaugurated in 1937 and includes a raft race, sports, gymkhana, concerts and rideouts to neighbouring villages. On Wednesday the Kelso Laddie is installed and the Standard bussed, the ceremony in the Market Square concluding with the Kelso Laddie’s Reel. Two days later the Laddie is installed as Kelso Whipman commemorating the Old Whipman’s Society of Ploughmen, once active in the town. He leads his mounted followers to a ceremony at the Trysting Tree, the traditional meeting place of the whipmen. The chief ride to Yetholm takes place on Saturday and the festival concludes with a fancy dress parade, presentation of cups and the return of the Kelso Standard to the Provost.
LAUDER COMMON RIDING was one of the original Border Comon Ridings and there is a reference to a ceremony in Town Council minutes of 1686. It was in abeyance for about 80 years, being revived to mark the coronation of George V in 1910. Sports, parades, dances and concerts precede the main events on the Saturday when the Cornet receives the Burgh Fag at the Tollbooth. He leads the mounted cavalcade to the Watering Stane and onto the Burgess Cairn, the only boundary stone still in existence. The proceedings conclude with a ceremony at the War Memorial and the return of the flag, with games and horse events in the afternoon.
MELROSE FESTIVAL WEEK was instituted in 1938 to commemorate the town’s history, with the "Melrosian" as the central figure. A gymkhana, rideouts and fancy dress parade lead up to Thursday’s ceremony in the picturesque setting of Melrose Abbey. The Melrosian is installed, the Festival Queen crowned and an oration given by a guest speaker. Saturday sees the chief procession to places of historic interest around the town. The final ceremony takes place at Melrose Abbey where over 800 years of history are recalled and the granting of the foundation charter by David I is re-enacted. Sports and a service of thanksgiving conclude the week’s festivities.